Sunday, August 23, 2009

Did you Know? 3.0 and Mr. Winkle Wakes

Did you Know? 3.0

Karl Fisch's video was very thought-provoking and interesting! Obviously change is inevitable in life, but the majority of the ideas that were presented, really put things into perspective for me. Many of the statistics impressed me, for example, America's total population is equal to the top 25% of India's population with the highest IQ. For Americans, it's simple to get used to remaining in our own little bubble of superiority and forget about the rest of the world. We are behind many of the world's countries. It's crazy to think about a world without technology!
Personally, using technology is a daily ritual for me! Throughout the day I am constantly checking my phone for text messages, listening to some music on my Zune, and researching my unanswered questions on Google. The number of Google searches that exist each day blew my mind.

The thought of building supercomputers that would be smarter than the human brain concerns me. I believe that it could be possible, but why would the world need this? As a future educator, I am aware that new technologies will be developing over my future. Yet, will it help me in the long run to learn about these new technologies, that will most likely be outdated by the time I get into my own classroom?

Mr. Winkle Wakes

I thought this was a creative approach to gaining the proper attention for the issue of technology in the world! Technology has gone from being an optional device to a full blown necessity in today's society. Times have definitely changed over the past century, as Mr. Winkle finds out in his journey. It is incorporated in everyday life, whether it be in the business world or in medical facilities.

Personally, I was fortunate enough to be able to encounter many technologies through federal funding, especially in high school. But I agree that the education system lacks the ability of incorporating technology in the classrooms. Though it might seem confusing at first, teachers should work towards being more literate and dive into the wonderful world of technology. As the world advances, the classrooms are slowly falling behind. As older teachers retire, new teachers, fresh out of college, are being taught to discover new and innovative ways to keep up with the development of education technology.

1 comment:

  1. Do we have to wait for older teachers to retire? Can we wait that long?

    ReplyDelete