Sunday, August 30, 2009

Podcasts

image by ithinked.com

Before I entered this required class, I thought I was pretty technology literate, at least enough to get me by. Boy was I wrong! Considering that I own a Zune, as opposed to an Ipod, I had some figuring out to do upon completing my assignments for this week. Itunes was a whole new world for me, as I spent a tremendous amount of time in awe of everything it provides! Podcasts are a new concept for me as well. I believe that podcasts are our future and we should embrace them with open minds.

Because I am a visual learner, the Podcasts took some time to be able to focus. The "radio-style" podcast format allowed me to break this barrier to better comprehend the subjects. Beginning with a catchy introduction and passionate speakers keeps a listener interested. The speakers engaged their audiences by releasing their passion over the air, though the subject may seem boring to the average person. For example, This Week in Photography an odd subject itself, not only brought new and innovative tips to the table, but was spoken in a way that provoked your regular perspective of life.

Podcasts are very useful to all kinds of people, especially teachers. They answer many mysterious questions, that would otherwise not have been answered. For example, Who would have thought about the difference between Firefox 3.0 and Firefox 2.0? In a podcast I listened to on my own called The Art of Storytelling, Kevin Strauss, the hosts were discussing environmental storytelling. They mentioned how storytelling impacts children, "using stories as a doorway to get students thinking about nature in new ways." Many of these podcasts shine a new light on forgotten subjects.

When I eventually create my own podcasts, I will remember these podcasts and model them slighty alike. The "radio-style" approach was the best method of drawing in one's audience. It lightens the mood, while getting the information out into the open. I have enjoyed my first Podcast experience and will continue my journey into this new trend.

1 comment: