Sunday, October 4, 2009

ITunes U

Itunes logohttp://itunes.com


In the beginning, I was skeptical of Itunes U, not really understanding what the concept stood for. Truthfully, out of my own ignorance blossomed a mindset that would eliminate all interest in the subject. I would just perform the required task and move on. But as I researched the topic for this week's assignment, my whole perspective changed. I think ITunes U is an innovative way to link students and teachers.

Many universities such as Harvard, Texas A&M, and Stanford, use Itunes U to build on to the original lesson. Students have access to the available resources through their computers, Ipods, or Iphones. Some resources include lectures and presentations that the professor has uploaded to benefit the students, as they engage in learning. In a preliminary study done by the State University of New York at Fredonia, students were compared to see who achieved the better grades. Both the lecture and the podcast/videocast held the same information. One set of the students went to lecture and received the printed material, while the other group skipped and listened to the podcast instead. Results were calculated and surprisingly, the "Skippers" did better in their evaluations.

I believe Itunes U is being held up a paragon in today's society. I will most likely use this resource when I embark in my own journey as a teacher, even today as a student. It is fitting to go along with the trend of using technology in the classroom and use it to it's fullest potential.

To learn more information about Itunes U, click on the following links...
Intro to Itunes U
Apple & ItunesU
Information about the Preliminary Study

1 comment:

  1. Coming soon to USA!

    Your experience with iTunesU was like mine with Twitter: No Way; well maybe I should learn before I make a judgement; hmmm, it can be useful; count me in! We can all be learners if we just are willing to try!

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete