Sunday, October 4, 2009

Alice Christie's GPS and Geocaching

Alice Christie

Alice Christie's website is a great informational website that is very helpful for present and aspiring educators. I found the GPS/Geocaching section to be quite intriguing. Before I encountered this web page, I have never heard of the concept of Geocaching. Apparently, it is really popular locally, nationally, and even internationally.

"Tell me, I will forget- Show me,I may remember- Involve me, and I will understand" Dr. Christie brings up an excellent point! She explains thoroughly the importance of getting students involved in their education. Geocaching creates memories the students will hopefully cherish and remember. She also explains that this can be used at all different levels of education from Kindergarten to even college. Dr Christie's focus is the integration of technology in the classrooms. If performed correctly, the Geocaching hunt allows students to understand how the Global Positioning System (GPS) works, while still having fun doing so.

Dr. Christie brings up another great point, "Using these tools and activities gives classroom teachers opportunities to instill in students a curiosity about geography, science, mathematics and the world in which they live." When I become an elementary school teacher, Geocaching will allow me to put difficult concepts in an understandable form. In the future, I will most likely give Geocaching a chance!

If you would like to know more about Dr. Alice Christie and her professional studies, here's the link.
Click Here

4 comments:

  1. A nearby school placed a geocache, filled with keys with each student's name on them. We made one a travel bug. It has logged over 9,000 miles for the students to track and learn geography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I have added geocaching to the list of topics for Project11. Sounds like a winner to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out Chris who made the first post here. She seems like a very interesting person. First, click on Chris. Then go to her web page after reading about her (lower left). Then explore.

    Of course, you may already have doe this!

    This is what I find fascinating about blogging. Suddenly comments appear and a whole new network of friends and acquaintances appears!

    ReplyDelete