Sunday, October 11, 2009

Richard Miller's This is How We Dream Part 1 & 2

4 different types of multimedia


Richard Miller creates an interesting presentation about the future of multimedia. I believe that the future has already begun. Many education institutions are taking technology into their own hands to enhance the classrooms. I have encountered many professors who utilize Powerpoint and Youtube in their lectures. As an EDM 310 student, I know that there is a new realm of technology about to change the education world as we know it. Mr. Miller's video focuses on society being a listening/doing society, rather than a reading/writing one.

Am I prepared to write with multimedia? Upon completing this class, I will have a slight advantage over my colleagues. But in reality, I do not think that one can be fully prepared though. Technology is constantly changing, new ideas are being thrown out onto the table each day. In Karl Fisch's "Did you Know video", he tells us that, "for students starting a 4 year technical degree, half of what they learn in their first year of study will be outdated by their third year of school." All in all, I will be able to survive, if I am constantly updating my knowledge of new technologies.

I believe my students will be able to write with multimedia. There has been numerous times where I would go to my nieces and nephews for computer help. The new generation is literally growing up "technologically literate." For example, Comments4Kids shows us that students around the world, all ages, are discovering how to use blogging.

To watch Richard Miller's videos, Click here
Here's the link to Karl Fisch's video "Did you Know" Click here

1 comment:

  1. They are growing up with technology. But technologically literate? Maybe or maybe not. Perhaps too many adults want to "protect them" from it. And that may be stimulated by a fear that the kids will know more, and be able to do more, than the adults. Or am I being too cynical again?

    ReplyDelete