Sunday, September 27, 2009

Can Wikipedia be a Trusted Source of Information?

Throughout the years, I have always been told not to use Wikipedia as a reliable research source. I never questioned my English teachers; I was obedient and did what I was told. But nowadays, I believe Wikipedia is not a reliable source. In my opinion, it is a good place to start when looking up specific ideas, but one cannot rely only on the website's information. The website is completely inaccurate because anybody can make changes to each individual page.

With the creation of the Wikiscanner, Wikipedia is improving it's reputation. Virgil Grifftih, a graduate student at California Institute of Technology, created this tool to keep a lookout on who actually edits these articles. Although this is a good move for the website, I still believe a student should not fully rely on Wikipedia. One should take the time and search the wonderful World Wide Web to better understand a subject.

2 comments:

  1. "In my opinion, it is a good place to start when looking up specific ideas" - Yes
    "The website is completely inaccurate" - No. There are certainly inaccuracies, but not "completely".
    "I still believe a student should not fully rely on Wikipedia." I agree. But remember, ALL sources are subject to inaccuracies and bias. Including me. On occasion, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, inaccuracies and bias can be found anywhere. I guess I never thought about it though, since all throughout school, teachers pushed the "No Wikipedia" movement.

    ReplyDelete